Welcome back! If you are reading this than that means you are interested in seeing (and hearing) about this hellacious DIY project. (Please note that all the photos in this post are the finished project, sadly my camera deleted the “in progress” photos)
We left off in part one with prepping the banister, and the next thing I did was use Kilz as a primer (this is what was suggested during my research and at Home Depot) I have personally never worked with this product before and it was odd to say the least. It is more of a thin consistency than paint, has major fumes, is oil based (so it will be on you and your clothes for-ev-er) and the kicker is after a certain point it is literally like painting with honey.
-I’m sure you are now starting to understand why I ended up hating this project so much-
So after a good solid coat of that I took a break to let it fully dry then started with my semi gloss Behr paint. I just chose bright white – the standard color and I do love it. I figured two to three coats would do the trick… more like 4 coats and the sealer! At one point I did take apart the banister in sections (like I mentioned in part one) and did each piece individually, and although this was so much more labor intensive I regret not doing this from the beginning because it would look so much better.
After the paint was dry I when over most everything with a polyurethane top coat. The first few days it looked great, but after 4 or 5 it started to yellow!
-As you can imaging I was ready to take a sledge hammer to this thing! –
So I lightly sanded it and put a very thin layer of paint over certain areas. It definitely turned out more rustic than I wanted and I am still nowhere near happy with it, but it is a major improvement from the cat scratched beat up oak.
Make sure to stop by on Sunday when I will have my final post in this series about what to do different, what I learned and all the products I used.
Hope you are having a great day!